From the perspective of the Finnish forest industry, key issues during Sweden’s EU Presidency will be:
- Responding to climate change by taking advantage of the opportunities and competitive advantages that the forest industry offers
- Developing an eco-efficient energy policy by supporting the availability of energy and the energy solutions developed by the forest industry
- Acknowledging the forest industry’s pioneering role in sustainable development and the bioeconomy as part of an eco-efficient economy and a low-carbon society in the EU
- Ensuring the free movement of forest industry products and factors of production in the EU’s internal market
- Securing substantial funding for research and innovation activities, such as the launching of investments to develop commercial-scale biorefineries
Sweden holds the EU Presidency 1 July – 31 December 2009.
More information: Riku Eksymä