In 2011, the Finnish forest industry commenced a debate on how we could voluntarily develop our conduct further in issues related to responsibility and the environment. As result of this process, the industry drafted, amongst other things, shared environmental and responsibility commitments up to 2020.
The forest industry’s strength is that it manufactures products, which are based on a renewable, recyclable and biodegradable natural resource. Basing products and solutions on a renewable material makes it possible to steer consumption in a more sustainable direction.
We take pride in the fact that we have long developed our actions with regard to environmental and responsibility issues, helping the Finnish forest industry become a paragon of effective environmental action.
However, this pioneer status obligates the industry to constantly improve its environmental and responsibility efforts throughout the value chain. Success in this effort calls for cooperation and dialogue between various parties as well as a desire to listen to what others have to say. This is the best way to move forward and continue to improve our activities.
Responsibility at the heart of developing the bio-economy – Finnish Forest industry commitments on environmental and responsibility issues
Society: Provider of innovative and ecologically sustainable products and solutions
- We respond to the needs of individuals and society and the global climate, energy and environmental challenges in a sustainable manner by providing products and solutions based on a renewable and recyclable raw material.
- Our actions are equally responsible on the national and international level, and we require responsibility from our cooperation partners throughout the value chain.
- We disclose and report openly on environmental and responsibility issues and conduct an active dialogue with key stakeholder groups.
Natural resources: Promoting use and conservation
- We verify the lawful origins of the wood we consume and promote the use of forest certification systems. The aim is to ensure that at least 80% of the wood and fibre used by the forest industry is certified by 2020. In addition, we promote responsibility in the procurement chains of all of our raw materials.
- We promote the utilisation of a diverse range of different forest management and voluntary conservation measures to develop the biodiversity of forest environments. Our goal is to improve the living conditions of threatened species so that a smaller share of the species, which were identified as being threatened in 2010, is still under threat in 2020. We are committed to the sustainable and responsible use and protection of mires and peatlands.
- The wood consumption of Finnish forest industry corporations does not globally cause rainforest deforestation nor does our corporate land use compete with food production.
Environment: Environmental impact management, energy and material efficiency
- The share of our climate-positive renewable energy will be increased and we will continue to be Finland’s most significant producer of renewable energy. We are committed to the continuous improvement of energy-efficiency and will help attain the climate obligations that have been set for Finland
- Based on voluntary measures and local conditions, we continue improving water-use efficiency and achieve systematic reductions in waste water load. The target is to reduce the chemical oxygen demand (COD) of waste waters from the production facilities by 10% per tonne of output by 2020 (1). Furthermore, we commit to doing our part to reduce the suspended solids and nutrient loading in waterbodies caused by forestry.
- Our production operations utilise raw materials effectively. We actively study new opportunities for utilizing the side streams of production and continue to develop industrial symbiosis, where one party’s waste is another’s raw material. Our aim is to achieve a 30% reduction in the amount of waste sent to landfills by 2020 (1).
- We reduce the environmental impact of our products throughout their lifecycle. In the wood product industry we extend the lifespan of our climate-positive products and develop product recyclability. We promote paper and paperboard recycling in all market areas.
1) Comparison year 2011